View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #406
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I listened to The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I wish I'd read it so I could have skimmed, since the first half of the book was excruciatingly sloooooow. The description of the Middle Ages was interesting, but not enough to hold my attention for 26+ hours. The story finally came together at the end, but I almost gave up a couple of times. I'm starting to think that historical fiction is hit and miss for me and my avoiding it in the past wasn't all bad.
I very much enjoyed The Doomsday Book, though Jenny Sterling isn't as engaging a reader as Katherine Kellgren. I agree that Connie Willis is heavy on historical details and I am surprised I enjoyed it so much since I am not really a fan of historical fiction, either. I think it must be her characters I like.

I recommend you stay away from Blackout/All Clear then, because it also reads much more like historical fiction than science fiction.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote