Thread: Troubleshooting Indexing is truly vexing ...
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
But why should they care if people want to do exactly that? I don't really want to keep shifting books between Calibre and the Kindle, but the way they're going with the ever shrinking memory, I will have to sooner or later, which is something I am not particularly happy about.
Exactly, why should they care. I'll tell you. They get more control when you have less local storage available, and think it's "convenient" to be able to download books from Amazon directly.

Amazon is, like everyone else, pushing their cloud-"services".

CLOUD, CLOUD, CLOUD! It's everywhere, and it's hip. Blergh. What's a cloud? It's just webspace, that can be synced by multiple devices simultaneously. It has been here for over 10 years in one way or another, and big companies have been using it even longer, running their own systems. Back then, it was just called "remote storage".

The only difference is that it's now being integrated into every device such as the Kindle (previously, only laptops and some smartphones had this / could have this), and companies are hollering that you don't need any local storage anymore and you can "just" put all of your files into *their* storage.

Company: "So they will be available everywhere, and you don't need to worry about backups, and it is very conventient that way. And it's free too. Nice, huh?"

In my honest opinion, it just screams "Give us more control over your files!"

I won't be storing ANYTHING into ANY cloud whatsoever. I download books to my computer, deDRM them, and archive them myself. If I can't have my own file, I don't want it. If I want a "cloud", I'll buy my own network storage drive, such as a Synology. They have FTP, HTTP, and even a cloud system built right in. Then I'll have -my own- cloud. Just as convenient, with no big company somewhere in between.

As I said in other topics:

One day we will see a Kindle with just enough storage for one page at a time.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote