View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yes, one thing I do prefer on TFT is it's immediate response time!
It makes browsing through menu's and flipping through pages a breeze!
Press and hold a direction button is like on a computer, racing through menus at a fast rate.

I personally think that 640x480pix is only good for text, and there is a multitude of programs that can convert any file to .txt.
So as long as you don't mind losing formatting, which is something you probably won't need on such low resolution devices (since if text is bold or in a larger font, there would fit only few words on the screen), the jetbook mini is your best device.

What I like about the mini compared to the Jetbook, is it's instant on function. Booting OS takes less than a second, and pageflips are remarkably faster. Also it fits perfectly in the hand, thanks to it's battery compartment balancing out the screen, and the buttons are placed where your fingers are.
Something the Jetbook does not have.

The moment you want formatting and pictures, the jetbook (I presume the same as the Aluratek Libre pro 5") becomes your best device of the 2!
The mini can display it, but the FB2 file format is not very recognized, and Calibre is not converting files to FB2 correctly for the mini resolution (640x480; it is set up for 800x600 devices, thus the last word or words of a sentence end up in a sentence by itself on the next line, unless you want to read in portrait mode).
Also FB2 is ridiculously slow! Loading a book for the first time can take upto 2,5 minutes, for a medium, 150 pages book (has probably more than 800 pages on the small screen of the mini)!
Luckily the reading device does background preparation of the other books while you're reading, so that opening consecutive fb2 books won't take too long anymore, if you give it some time to do that.
But even page flips on the mini, as well on the Jetbook, as soon as there are pictures included, a page flip could take a few seconds, almost as slow as e-ink.

So the faster response is a definite positive, however it's not always (with every page flip) guaranteed that much faster than e-ink (the mini only has a 200mhz processor).

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote