View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
stxopher
Nameless Being

Yea, some days my whole mind is nothing but long wind and disconnected nodes. At least I gave a warning at the top to skip it.

And as for "kids don't read", I know, I know. My point is not that they "don't" read but that any reading they do is more strongly affected by the other factors in their lifestyle. (From my balcony, kids<25.) A good chunk do like to read but are short on time, short on space, are on the move constantly. So much of their entertainment comes to them already in a format that fits their needs that written material seems (as one put it) "kinda clunky".

I do think that is important since thinking people do like to read, no matter what their age or lifestyle. The last couple weeks several of them have started borrowing my scanner so they can put their books into their laptops. This gives them what they want when they want it. (None of those particular kids have readers.) One is putting all her textbooks for this semester on her system so she can have access to it them at all times. Again, convenience and usability. Several of her classmates are making inquiries about her project with interest of getting theirs moved to digital also.

I think this is a good indicator that the desires of the gen coming up are changing from what has been the foundation of publishing for so many years. They still want the same content that the older gens do, they just want it in different format. Thankfully it's a lot easier for them to change it than it was for thier distant ancestors. (see "fossils over 25").

(Now, if we could only get someone to market a package combining a good duplex scanner, Abby OCR, that sweet, sweet Book Designer and an open source cataloging system we could officially start the next print revolution. Watching all that money slip from their hands as people digitized their own content would hopefully motivate change in the industry faster.)