View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #64
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
QUOTE=acidzebra;230908]I see nothing that indicates "off site" shall be the NSA.
I stated "...or wherever" but you omitted that. I think the policy lists a number of agencies, but no matter - the crux is they CAN take your stuff (for no other reason than a highly qualified border guard thinking you look fishy), while in an earlier post you argued "they are not confiscating your digital media or documents when you enter a country" but now you are arguing that they may take it, but only for this "reasonable amount of time" for which I apparently need an education in law to appreciate it. Which I don't have, I'm a lowly network engineer.

Quote:
And, I keep telling you ... if you are not quoting primary source material or case law, then I really don't give a rat's ass what they have to say. Some idiot's article is not the law. Everything you read in an article on the internet is not necessarily the truth.
And I realise this. The author is Daniel J. Solove, associate professor of law at the George Washington University Law School. It was published in the San Diego Law Review, Vol. 44, p. 745, 2007 and GWU Law School Public Law Research Paper No. 289. But you have made it abundantly clear that you won't read it, which is fine.

Quote:
Oh, and the Netherlands isn't a land of the free?? That's so sad to know. However, since you are not a citizen, you don't have standing to complain about the search policy in the first place.
The Netherlands is one of the most liberal societies I know which tries to define 'free' as broadly as possible. Sure it is not perfect and the weather sucks, but what are you going to do. And I didn't realise I needed "standing" to voice my opinion on an open internet forum, on a post titled "anyone worried about US borders wrt ebooks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Perhaps the first time some animal flies a couple of planes full of innocent passengers, into a couple of skyscrapers full of innocent people, in YOUR country, you'll think differently about more border security. Had our people done a better job and kept these animals out to begin with, maybe things would have been different.
While I completely sympathize with you on the matter of the incredible cruelty of this horrible deed (I think the entire world does), I disagree with your assessment that you can protect an entire country in this way. I also fear that in your anger and shock, you may overreact and allow people to seriously abridge your civil liberties while not providing any adequate & real protection except for maybe a feeling of security.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-08-2008 at 02:34 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote