View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #73
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
It would seem to me that if the publisher has limited geographical rights, it applies to both formats.
Often, but not always. Every aspect of publishing *can* be negotiated separately; some publishers by e-rights in the same areas as their print rights; some buy nonexclusive e-rights (yay Baen!); some buy world e-rights because they can convince authors to hand them over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Incorrect. The purchase location is your PC, not with the importer, and even dealing with an importer you need to show you're permitted to import the goods.
Says who? Is there a law somewhere that declares where digital purchases take place? (Real question. I know how ebook stores are doing business; I haven't seen any proof that they're doing so because of laws rather than corporate policies.)

Why is the purchase location "your PC," and not "the location of the server from which the purchase order originated?" If I log into a proxy server in another country, why isn't that the location of purchase? After all, my PC isn't connecting directly to the site; it's going through any number of routers to get there.

My PC is the final *destination* of the goods being sold--but I'm not required to hand over my address when I walk into a bookstore, nor do I pay sales tax based on my home address when I'm buying in another city or state. The purchase takes place where the money transfer happens, not where I'm going to take my purchase after I buy it.

If I log into a server in another country, and use a bank in that country to hand over the money, why isn't that just as legitimate as taking a train to Canada to buy a book that's not sold in US stores?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote