Thread: PRS-600 Corruption
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Corruption

When I turned my PRS-600 on this morning, it had a warning of something similar to "internal formatting issue", and gave me a single OK button to click. So I clicked it. And it reformatted my device.

This, of course, wiped all the books I had on there. Good thing I had a copy on the computer. But, when I try to copy them back over, I get an "input/output error". I should add I'm running Ubuntu, so I just use drag & drop to the USB folder.

Sony support was useless, as they couldn't come up with anything that didn't rely on their eBook Library and Windows. I tried to download the firmware (it came in an .exe, why the f can't they just zip this stuff instead of doing self-extracting exe's?), changed the extension to zip, and extracted it. Even though it implants an Linux kernel on the reader, it seems to rely on Windows to update itself.

So, I turn to you, oh wise and knowledgeable forum. Does anyone have a method to reflash a PRS-600 via Linux? Alternatively, what are the exact names of the folders in the media folder? Maybe I can just recreate those and get back to reading...
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote