View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #91
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I went to that first link (the unicode character search). It was cool. I entered ellipsis and em dash in the query box and it gave me all these U+2012 or whatever. What are all those U numbers for?
The U+#### are the unique UTF-16 codes for the symbol. You can safely ignore all of those (although it makes it easier to find the character if you wanted to use the built in Character Map in Windows (See Image 3)).

If you look at the first image I attached, make sure that you have the HTML Entities box activated. This makes FileFormat show you the actual copy/pastable character on the right side (marked in Image 2).

First Column: Long description of letter (this is why there are multiple duplicates on the page)
Second Column: Unique UTF-16 number
Third Column: (Same as first column for the most part)
Fourth Column: The HTML character.
  • I personally make my font size HUGE on that page so I can see the characters much easier than the character map.

Quote:
And thanks for the Greek alphabet.
No problem. There are also very nice lists of characters with accents. I constantly keep tabs open in Firefox for the Wikipedia pages for Macron, Grave accent, Acute accent, Diaresis, Circumflex, Caron, Dagger.

Quote:
Lastly. How do I do the multiple quote thing (in a way that keeps things straight)? And are people going to know I wrote them if I do three or four quotes in one post? (I'm all for keeping the thread cleaner--and I get tired of seeing my picture so much!)Thanks man.
Every time I click quote, I just copy/paste the code generated from MobileRead into a text editor (I use Notepad++). I then split the posts manually, the code is quite easy.

You can see that MobileRead sticks the post between a QUOTE, and a /QUOTE tag:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.

Second  Second  Second  Second.

Third  Third  Third  Third  Third.[/QUOTE]
The first quote tag has the user who said the quote (marked in red), and the post # (marked in blue). The Red/Blue sections are optional, but I prefer to keep them in tact when quoting a user multiple times.

I copy/paste the opening tag when splitting up a user's post for much more easy readability, and remember to always put the closing QUOTE tag (light blue) at the end (THIS IS A VERY EASY STEP TO FORGET).

If I just wanted to comment on the user's first and third paragraphs:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the first paragraph belong here.

[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]Third Third Third Third Third.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the third paragraph belong here.
From Notepad++, I type out my posts, and then copy/paste back in to the box on MobileRead. I then make sure to PREVIEW POST (very important).

You will most likely mess up many times before getting it down pat, but I have been doing it that way on forums for years (I have lost too many great posts to the abyss).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FileFormat1.png
Views:	179
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	103577   Click image for larger version

Name:	FileFormat2.png
Views:	195
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	103578   Click image for larger version

Name:	CharacterMap.png
Views:	165
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	103579  

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-27-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote