View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Well...I guess maybe some people like written fiction the way I like television. I don't like movies very much, two hours is just a little too much for my attention span, but I will happily watch 42 minutes of a serialized television show week after week, season after season. And for really good shows (for me that would be something like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones), the wait each week adds to the ancitipation, and really makes you savor each episode.

Just speculation, though. I don't actually read much fiction these days.
If I just heard about "The Game of Thrones" this year, I can go to Amazon Instant Video, start with Episode 1 Season 1, watch an episode each week, and as long as I don't cheat and read the synopsis on wikipedia, I can be just as enthralled (or not) as someone who watched it on the first airing. With this, there's only one first run.

I think it might work better if each person who purchases the serial gets installments spaced out just as if they'd purchased as soon as it was available. Then you could go to the corresonding installment thread and exchange thoughts, and be properly 'surprised' by the next installment.

But I guess the question is whether this enhances the reading experience, or detracts from it. Did anybody complain that The Brothers Karamazov "just wasn't as good" when it was compiled into a complete novel? Is there anything that's actually a better read when you're forced to pause for a week or two between each installment?

I applaud the experiment, but I think it needs refinement and maybe signing on an author who is already doing this on the web and who has a following.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-10-2012 at 11:40 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote