Thread: PRS-650 PRS-650 replacement battery
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
skiffler
skiffler began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
PRS-650 replacement battery

I've just bought a faulty PRS-650 off eBay. After playing with it for a while, and analysing what it does and when, it's quite clear that what it requires is a new battery. The question is: 'where do I get one from?' It seems to be possible to obtain third party batteries for other Sony eReaders but, to date, I haven't found one for the PRS-650. Does anyone know where to obtain one other than from Sony who, no doubt, will require a great deal of money? It's 3.7V 940mA. Does anything else fit?

The current (sic) status of the 650 is that the battery 'charges' via the USB cable: I get all the correct messages during charging and a charging completed message. However when it's unplugged, it immediately says that the battery is empty and then switches off. The text is nice and clear during charging and, in the short time that it did work before the present situation, it all worked correctly. I even updated the firmware to the latest version.

Whilst trying to obtain a replacement battery I should, in theory, be able to use it with a mains charger; something that is not possible when charging via USB.

Is there a non-Sony mains charger - available in the UK - that everyone agrees is a good buy?
skiffler is offline   Reply With Quote