Thread: corrupted dbase
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #30
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
1. In a perfect world (sigh) a back up would occur of the NEW books I added that day (with covers) along with a daily metadata.
This is basically what I do. I can suggest some options.

My preference is to run PureSync, a folder synchronization program via a batch file. It operates in one-way mirror mode, compares my backup copy of the Library to my master copy (located on another drive in a networked computer), copies over any new books, deletes any old books that were deleted from the master, and copies over and replaces the metadata.db file (provided it has changed). There are lots of folder synchronization programs around.

Another alternative is to run XCOPY. It can be set to copy only files that have not been backed up and then it sets the archive bit, but that method doesn't delete old books deleted from the master, nor does it work if another backup program is being used.

You can always just copy the entire Library folder every now and then.

As to the multiple metadata.db files, I use something simple like this:

c:
cd \path\to\Calibre\Library
if exist metadata.db.6 del metadata.db.6
if exist metadata.db.5 ren metadata.db.5 metadata.db.6
if exist metadata.db.4 ren metadata.db.4 metadata.db.5
if exist metadata.db.3 ren metadata.db.3 metadata.db.4
if exist metadata.db.2 ren metadata.db.2 metadata.db.3
if exist metadata.db.1 ren metadata.db.1 metadata.db.2
if exist metadata.db copy metadata.db metadata.db.1

You can put it in a batch file, run it nightly with a Windows scheduled task, or before your backup.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote