View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 AM   #12
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Fascinating!!! You are really brilliant. I know the difficulty...
Thanks. That's what I tried to explain to my wife

If ported FOX once. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28733. That was easy because it only depends on X11. I've also ported Ruby (easy) and the FOX binding FXRuby but it resulted in huge libraries (Full Ruby was a 6MB install, FOX about 5 MB), but the FXRuby lib was 16MB ). IUP is really small. I was lucky that the Iliad's gtk was good enough (=gtk 2.6).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I haven't tried to make a GUI program in LUA, but I have a question:
Can I access GDK and Pango lib (they are fundamental lib of GTK+) in LUA? Being able to access GTK widget is good, but I still need some function provided by GDK and Pango.
You cannot access GDK and Pango from IUP: it's an abstraction layer on top of them. You CAN access anything written in C from Lua, but you have to write the bindings yourself. If its only a few functions it is not difficult at all...
Quote:
There seemed a Lua-Gnome project several years ago. But this project was stopped.
If spend a few evening trying to port Lua-Gnome (or Lua-Gtk). Pros: it gives access to gtk, gdk, pango, etc... ('Currently about 7600 functions and 700 structures'). Cons: hard to build, it probably depends on more recent versions of the gtk libs (quite a task to build for the Iliad). It also depends on some tools (cpp2xml) that depend on gcc4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTolputt View Post
I've actually used this library before (I'm a big fan and frequent user of Lua), I'm interested in seeing an application running on the iLiad though; even if it is just the samples.
I have run one of the samples on my Iliad (with a radio button). I'll do a decent (documented) build when I have some more time, and publish it here with some screen shots. I'm also running a small webserver on my Iliad (without gui of course): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36799, but I guess you are looking for a IUP example...

Last edited by hansel; 01-31-2009 at 03:36 AM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote