Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #527
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
Tag Cleaner need

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@schuster -[*]I mentioned on another thread an idea for a "Tag Cleaner". It would use a similar approach to that in the Goodreads Metadata download plugin of defining a mapping between input tags and tags you want to use in your library. You would have a gui allowing you to customise and control which tags map to each and discard any you do not have a mapping for. It would work across metadata sources (including the ability to remap the Goodreads tags) as you would do it as a separate step after your normal Ctrl+D download. So if you are frustrated with getting a dozen variants of "sci-fi, scifi, science fiction" this would automatically resolve them rather than manually retyping the tags yourself.[/LIST]
I heartily second this idea for Calibre. I have about 1,200 books in my library and have just painstakingly rationalized the over 400 tags downloaded with the metadata down to a useful 120. Having done that I now obviously want to keep the list clean. Ideally the add books and edit metadata code should check incoming tags against a user maintained database of tags (an extension of the tag manager?) and 1) map incoming tags to p referenced tags via the database, 2) discard incoming tags that are in the database but do not map to a new tag, and 3) alert the user to new tags that are not in the database with appropriate options on how to deal with them. The last item might have intelligent suggestions like if some variant of "SciFi" comes in that is not in the database, it might spot the similarity to "SciFi" and optionally add a new mapping item to the database. As noted in the original post, this is similar, but more expansive than, the GoodReads plugin.

If I ever learn Python, I would look into it myself. The latest language I have learned since my assembler language and Fortran days (yes I am an old fart) is Visual Basic.

Please and thanks.
rracoon01 is offline   Reply With Quote