View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdelta View Post
I currently have a Nook Simple Touch Glow, but I'm getting tired of dealing with its glitches and I'd really like a higher resolution screen.

I use Calibre to convert ebooks and strip DRM, so ecosystem is a non-issue for me, and virtually all books/documents I own will be sideloaded, so store support and any features that require store support are irrelevant to me.

I also do a lot of reading that isn't just books, such as longer articles and short stories off the web. Real (meaning actually usable) PDF support would be nice for documents and books that use diagrams and larger formatting, but not required.

I'm mostly looking for something that has a decent screen and durability and has some form of sync or transfer to the device that doesn't require me constantly digging out USB cables while traveling.

Price isn't a big deal - as long as it's under $250, I really don't care.

So far I've looked at the Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, and the Kindle Paperwhite. The Kobo devices look great, especially the Aura HD, and it seems like they have better support for PDFs in their software. Unfortunately their sideload support seems to be fairly weak - as I understand it, you can't even sync stuff to the device unless it came from the Kobo store, and I saw reports that you had to update the devices database after transferring over USB.

The Kindle Paperwhite seems like it has better sideload support via the Personal Documents sync. I also had a Kindle before my Nook, and I've noticed that books and documents seemed to convert better for it than for the Nook (especially stuff that started as an ePub - lots of issues with huge margins even at the lowest margin settings, missing pages, and stuff like that), though that may have just been the Nook's less than stellar software.

Unfortunately, I really want to avoid the Kindle if at all possible, as I do not support closed ecosystems (even if I personally can bypass it, most people can't or won't, and it's annoying) and Amazon has a really bad track record with durability in my experience (I had to replace my Kindle 3rd gen three times due to the screen breaking - my Nook has survived longer with far fewer issues).

just re load the image for the nook glow again.

or root it.

i rooted mine also and it awesome i have installed every web browser,file browser,book reader apps and games.

180 apps installed.

no glitch problems at all.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote