View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
I have no need to, I am using my Kindle to store only personal docs (knitting patterns) and I want to be able to update the firmware at my convenience. In order to save battery life, I turned wireless off already.
Assuming you don't need the browser, you can leave it registered but with WiFi disabled. That'd be the only way you can get all the features but also have the ability to choose if and when you do updates.

As a guess, I assume that the Kindle wants the timezone which it gets from linking to your Amazon account.

Excluding the password and time, the rest of the options on the 2nd and 3rd pages are useless without registration and Personal Info is just useless.

Quote:
That should actually take care of it but I also find the naming of this device sort of dorky, it's a tool for me, not a personal friend with a name...
Kindle is dorky? I didn't think that Amazon advertised the Kindle as being a personal friend with a name.

Quote:
I find it a little disappointing that many advanced features are linked with registration with Amazon but I guess that's the price you pay for getting such a cheap reader, the improved text is great for my eyes and that's why I bought it.
Excluding the settings menu, the only feature I know of that requires linking the Kindle to an account is collections.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote