View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #115
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I dunno. I think I've seen (probably) just about every native (as in I didnt break it) horrific broken SOFTWARE scenario for X and non X kindles now. sync broken, only green text on black, tiny white box in corner, only black output, only grey screen, single grey line in middle of screen, partial garbled output, etc. etc. That kinda looks like a broken X... but you don't have one I believe...

I don't recognise that one if I am honest...
My guess? and it's a guess... Toast. Sorry mate.
A way to tell would be to take a screenshot of it. If the framebuffer looks good but the screen looks bad -- broken screen. If they both look the same -- software problem... Perhaps a debricking RUNME.sh script could grab a copy of the framebuffer during restart...

How I would test it, is to temporarily connect the screen to another K4, or connect another K4 to that screen. If you are careful, you can put two units back-to-back with the covers off and bend the connector back and plug it into the other kindle PCB connector. I have done it.

EDIT: In the mean time, I eventually plan to make broken-screen kindles usable with a framebuffer proxy program (similar to VNC, but much simpler and it will work during debricking). I also want to support "key stuffing", so a damaged kindle can use the LCD and keyboard from a laptop PC. That would even make a non-damaged kindle easier to use in some cases.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote