View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Quote:
The reasoning would have been that either way, someone would have expected the other option
I suppose, as a web developer and designer, I would say having a "link" that appears on a page, which leads to an empty or "under construction" page - is far more "unexpected," and more inelegant than not having the link, yeah?

Quote:
A collection is basically a "virtual folder".
I don't think the analogy is fitting.

In this case, we have a data-set stored in XML which points to and describes individual files - much like MP3 players (and SQL databases used in CMS utilities).

As such, Book = Track; Author = Artist; Collection = Album. If I delete all the tracks from Bat Out of Hell - I would not expect the MP3 player or Computer Software to continue to reference the album.

Alternatively, if we look at collections as playlists, they can be empty on the Computer Software. However, if the playlist is empty on the device - it isn't displayed as a playlist (at least not on the iPod). And, for good reason, the metadata won't take us to anywhere of experiential value to the purpose of listening to music (or, in our case, reading).

J
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote