View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #355
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm not that visual.
Understood.

Quote:
Windows 7 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.
Windows 8 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.
KDE - Press Alt-F2, start typing the name of the application you want.

(I think Alt-F2 is the default; it's fully configurable and I long ago changed mine to Alt-Spacebar, but you could just as easily change it to the WinKey.)

Quote:
...the contrast between Windows 8 recognizing all my hardware instantly and automatically, vs. Linux behaving inconsistently....
Aside from occasional video issues, I haven't seen a hardware problem under Linux in at least three years. But everybody's mileage varies.

Quote:
Close enough, that I'm going to declare Win8 the first desktop OS I've seen since the Apple II that is truly a consumer product....
Any OS that has to be installed by the end-user is already too complicated to be called a "consumer product", IMHO. Most folks just use whatever came preinstalled until their machine dies.

I think what keeps me with Linux more than anything else are the software repositories (it's iPad and the app store -- better because everything's free -- easier than dealing with software under Windows) and security (no such thing as a Linux virus). That alone is worth any hardware issues I run into.

Quote:
The word vastly is vastly overused in tech journalism. No need for us amateur pundits to adopt the bad habits of the pros
I bristle at the implication that I need professionals to teach me my bad habits. I'm well-versed in them on my own, thank you very much :-)

Quote:
If you include the method for installing software as part of the user interface
I wouldn't, so I guess we have different definitions here. The UI is what you see onscreen and what defines how you interact with the operating system I/O-wise. Muon and Synaptic (the new and old software library software, respectively) are part of the OS, but not the UI.

Quote:
going to the latest version of Calibre is identical on Win7 and Win8, and different from either on KDE.
Oddly enough, as of the latest version, the Calibre repository stopped working, so all that's available to me through Muon is an older version. For the more recent versions, I actually had to locate, download and manually install it. Almost made me feel as if I was on Windows again. Such a hassle