View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #23
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Like it, but, I still prefer LexiaDaMa, at least on my Sony. I feel it renders better and is slightly more readable, to my eyes. But, I've tested alot of fonts, and, yours is the closest I've found to LexiaDaMa. I discarded all the rest summarily. Yours is excellent.
Interesting.

I find that I can read both LexiaDaMa and NimbusMod comfortably at much smaller font sizes compared to many others, but am just slightly more comfortable with NimbusMod at my preferred font size for long reading sessions.

I think LexiaDaMa may have a slight edge on individual character legibility at smaller point sizes, due to the fact that it's a less condensed typeface than NimbusMod, but this lends it to just a litter higher tendency to run letters together in some combinations, at some font sizes, which for me leads to slightly more eye fatigue after several hours.

It's still enormously better than the default Sony font in this regard, and is a relatively 'open' typeface compared to many others.

As I said, my preference may be simply because I grew up reading similar condensed Times style fonts in paperback books, so the slightly more condensed letters don't bother me, and actually help keep words distinct on the smaller screen.

I can read comfortably at the 'small' font size for hours with NimbusMod, which was never possible with Sony's default font.

Another thing that I have found that helps with reading fatigue is to switch off from one font to another, when changing to the next title, especially if it's a book in another genre.

Switching fonts helps keep things from running together.

So I probably will be switching off between LexiaDaMa, Caecilia, and NimbusMod, just for variety.

This is yet another reason that Sony REALLY messed up in not making the fonts user selectable like the new Nook (which includes with a HUGE selection of fonts, right out of the box).

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, MESSED UP. (bye, bye Sony )

Last edited by delphin; 06-20-2011 at 12:38 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote