View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
First of all, it's a nice effort.
Your radio button implementation on your survey is a bit slipshod though, as you can only choose a single yes and one no for the first section, rather than a yes or no for each question, as seems the most logical. For example, I read on a computer screen, I prefer the printed page, and I am dissatisfied with current solutions, but I cannot choose all of these.

As far as an academic reader is concerned...there's more than one side to this coin. If the device is more a passive one, then I largely agree with dmaul1114's preference of a tablet with good annotation capability. By "good", I mean something that allows handwriting quickly and accurately, not the ability to slowly scribe "WOW" on the screen and vaguely circle/underline words as is demonstrated in so many real reader devices and tablets. It's essentially an "on the go" document handler and connectivity device. A concept like the Que was intriguing and seemed like a step in the right direction, but their use of e-paper and slow processing are too crippling to make the device feasible. The iPad is also interesting and helps do away with some of the speed issues, but also has too many limitations to be really considered. However, I do think it would be easier to push the iPad into academic use than it would be to push something like the current e-paper devices. If students or professors are going to contrive to use one of these devices, I expect to see a lot more iPads than Skiffs, Ques, or similar devices.

I'd be very intrigued if the basic concept for the Que's document-oriented UI were to mate with the iPad's hardware (or something like the Tegra2 and Pixel Qi combo of the Notion Ink Adam) and a good, precision stylus input method. The Microsoft Courier concept would be interesting too. Might still not be complete, but it'd be a hell of a lot closer.

As for screen...of currently available solutions, Pixel Qi seems the best compromise. EPDs are way, way too slow, and pure transmissive screens lack visibility in bright ambient light and have poorer battery life. Could Mirasol and Liquavista take this on? Possibly, but we don't know yet what they'll be like in real products.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-30-2010 at 06:00 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote