View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
As a parent, I have to say that I agree with the general idea that libraries seem to moving away from being about being literate.
I think it's more about a change in the concept of literacy. Some may look at iPads in libraries and see "gadgets" but I see something else.

While reading and comprehension were once seen as the minimum requirement for maximizing opportunity, technological literacy is now required as well for the same opportunity potential. Not just being able to use computers and devices on a basic level, but to understand how to use them to access resources and accomplish a variety of tasks beyond rote process memorization.

The content available through both traditional books and technology provides cultural literacy. (Whether or not the collection available at any given library actually provides a foundation for cultural literacy will vary, and I'm not arguing that they all do.)

We need more of all three, I think, and it's up to the individual or parent to make use of the available resources, whether at the library or elsewhere, to nurture them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote