View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The beta of the SDK came out, but the only means of delivering said content is through the iTunes store or the iPhone itself, which won't be updated until June. It's not really like Apple to not go whole hog - so I doubt we'll see them in iTunes before 2.0 comes out.

And yes... very nice ebook reader is available. It's hard to imagine any "official" version would be much better.
The current books.app is nice, but it still needs a lot more work. Good news is that after being dormant for the past three months a new team has continued development. Some things that need to be addressed:

Better speed-- any document larger than about 200k results in long waits when loading.

Autoscroll

Easier way to load books-- currently you need to open an ssh connection and find a directory deep within the file structure.

Better file format support

Ability to read DRM files-- I don't like DRM much either, but I can't buy every book from Baen. Sometimes I want a bestseller that just isn't available except from ereader, mobipocket, fictionwise, etc.

I did notice that ereader.com has a notice that they are investigating a version of their software for the iphone platform. If you want to update to the newest books.app add this source to installer:

http://thebedells.org/books/

Note that books version 1.3.7 will still show up as an upgrade-- ignore that one and install the 1.4+ version. Biggest improvement in this version is landscape support.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote