View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Liz S
Liz S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I've heard good things about the PocketBooks and really like my Sony 650. Right now, the Pearl screens, used by the Kindle 3 and the Sony 350/650/950, are the best screens on the market.

PDF is a horrible format for readers, especially if they are images instead of text. The format is designed to render a 8.5x11 page exactly as it was created. Those images aren't going to work well on any of the 6" readers out there. Since these are free and out of copyright books, I'd recommend looking at the 18,000 books posted here at Mobilread. You'll find that they are very well formatted and already in formats, like ePub and mobi, that do well on readers. People like HarryT take books from places like Google books and Project Gutenberg, clean them up, create tables of contents, rework the images, and format them to look good on ereaders.
Hi Polly

I've looked again at my collection and realise I have got around 550 of the PDFs also in .mobi format. A good proportion will be the automatic conversions via archive so will have some dodgy text etc so I can start with them. However, I have many hundreds in well-formatted text so I'm good to go for quite a while. As I said to Harry, I was hoping that landscape format would mean I could read the scanned PDFs reasonably easily. All in all, I think I will have enough .mobi books to keep me going for a while. I'll re-visit the PDF issue again, and if I need to, I have ABBYY Finereader to OCR and create "proper" ebooks It's just finding the time that's the issue!

Cheers
Liz

Cheers
Liz
Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote