View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A higher resolution eink display would be an important feature to me, and probably enough to justify an upgrade. KF8 titles I'm seeing include many with embedded fonts, and without the 'tuning' that the Kindle built-in fonts have, they don't look consistently as good. I miss the generally much superior and varied typography of print books, and am starting to get very bored with Caecilia, and single-typeface ebooks. But at 166dpi, at the text sizes I use, that's pretty much all that looks decent. I'm hoping 210dpi (6" screen with 1024x768) will be helpful in improving this, and probably nothing else will get me to upgrade.

The other 'feature' I would be looking for is a lighter device. Kindle Touch is pretty hefty compared to Nook and Sony and Kobo, and the extra weight doesn't seem to confer better performance, time-between-charges, or ruggedness.

I hope they don't dump the 3G option. I had pretty much dismissed it as a 'do not need' once wifi models became available, but having recently upgraded to a 3G model I would not want to be without it, even with a $50 premium. I travel a lot and like the simplicity and convenience of wireless-anywhere access without a contract.

I'm wait-and-see about front lighting: will it cost more? does it affect contrast negatively? is it more fragile? If any of the above, and it is not optional, I will be hesitating.

At this point, none of the rumors I'm hearing about Amazon tablets, smartphones, or mp3 players have predisposed me to wanting one. It's not that my current stable of mobile devices is particularly cutting edge, but reading is the critical application for me and my Kindle is easily the best device for that. At this point my iPod Touch is most at risk of replacement (its lack of battery performance is really starting to annoy me), but with what?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote