View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Now, this is interesting. I didn't want to list particular issues or viewpoints because (while I am aware of them) I do not beleive in them strong enough that I want to defend them.

This is something we can discuss, though. It sounds like you disagree with making judgments at all, not just the ones made by this author. I disagree, Harry. I think it's okay make judgments about other cultures.
I didn't express myself very well, Nate; permit me to try and clarify.

I have absolutely no problem with criticising cultures or governments. For example, I am perfectly willing to say that I very strongly believe that the current war in Iraq is illegal and immoral, and I strongly condemn the British and American governments for their involvements in it.

What I believe is unacceptable however - and this is what extremists of all varieties do - is to extend that and say "I hate what the British government is doing, so it's fine for me to hate all Britons", and to commit acts of terrorism against Britons using that as a justification. That was the attitude of the suicide bombers who caused such carnage in London a few years ago, and I regard it as completely morally unjustifyable.

Now, to return to books and be at least a little on-topic, that is just the attitude that Mr. Ringo has embodied in the central character (I can't use the word "hero") of "Ghost" and its sequels - a fanatical extremist who "hates" and kills people whose "crime" is to be a citizen of a nation or a member of a religious group that he (the character, that is) despises. I find that attitude completely morally repellant.

Now I'm certainly not saying that the views of the protagantist of "Ghost" represent the personal views of Mr. Ringo. For all I know, he might have deliberately set out to write a book with a completely repellant central character; if that was his aim, he's succeeded admirably. What I will say is that I get no pleasure from reading such a book, and could never recommend it to anybody.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote