Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #133
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
"Stranger in a Strange Land"

Very Excellent Book.

It's scifi written in a tongue in cheek style with profound philosophical views on culture from a few decades ago. Heinlein peers a the human being with intelligence and analysis and seizes on a reality that transcends fashions, the roots of existence.
The story in itself is symplistic but a fantastic basis for an uninterested judgement of humanity. The only failure to me is a certain sexist view that somehow fades when the eyes are from the martian protagonist.

I recommend this book even to people who abhore scifi.
And I recently re-read this book thanks to it being available in an E-Book edition. I now have a permanent copy -- assuming that all my hard drives, my Kindle, and Amazon.com don't have a simultaneous melt-down.