View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #13236
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just finished Kraken by China Mieville. It was runner-up this month in the MR book club. The winner was Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Interesting as I think of Kraken as one part Neverwhere, another part American Gods.

It was a great book and I really enjoyed it. However, where it shared some common ground with Gaiman, it also had a sophistication to it that made it a bit of a slow read for me. The chapters were pretty small and I often felt that a chapter or two was enough per sitting.

Now I'm reading Diary of the Displaced by Glynn James. It's a much more straight-forward read but 20% in and I'm sensing something about the style/mood. I'm not sure if I'm sensing a Poe influence or a Lovecraft influence. I don't know how I can pick between the two as I've never read either - but I feel it all the same. Is that weird?

This book will feature on my indie review site.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote