View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #175
pocoreader
pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
(E)Book Addiction

I used to work in the book business (for any Vancouverites out there: Duthie's on Robson & UBC Bookstore.) Books were seductive and I accumulated a lot of them. At Duthie's I had a charge account and a discount, and when I left I was a couple of grand in the hole. At the UBC Bookstore, I limited myself to mostly borrowing books--you could sign them out to read them 'gently.' I eventually made a rule for myself that I would not buy a book unless I was going to start reading it that day. I have stuck to it, for the most part. Now I have a mortgage so it is easier to not buy a book. I have been getting great mileage out of all the free books available for the Kindle and enjoying classic reads. I also use the local library; it has a great, online reserve and hold system. Probably 20-plus years in AA has helped me with my resolve as well--lots of things that used to be unmanageable are no longer a problem.
So, my advice to all you bookaholics out there:
If you have a book underway, finish it before you buy another.
Use the library.
Catch up on the classics--for free!
Only buy a book you are actually going to read that same day.
Good luck and remember one day, er, book, at a time.
pocoreader is offline   Reply With Quote