View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Why should reading be fun? Why should schools make reading fun? Should math be fun? Physics? Grammar?
I think math is loads of fun, personally. True story.

Now, reading doesn't have to be fun, but it sure can be. And if it can be, then why should we allow well-meaning educational programs to suck all the fun out of it? The reality is that the ability to read impacts success in college and beyond, and the lack of reading is tied to brain health issues in later years.

As I recently pointed out to my students (7th & 8th grade) near the beginning of this year, since you're going to have to read for at least five or six more years, why would you want to hate it? Wouldn't you rather find a way to love it? And to love it, you have to do it often. And to love doing it often, you have to learn to find books you enjoy.

I may not get them all to love reading, but I sure don't want to be saddled with the thought that I taught my students to hate reading.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote