View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #88
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
MgMueller,

we are using a Kensington Bluetooth Keyboard for the iPad for our business users. It's a kind of leather portfolio holding the ipad in landscape mode with a rubber keyboard at the bottom. Typing experience is so so, and it sometimes does not easily connect, but some people do like it.

Best regards,
Andy
I've seen that solution (or similar ones).
I don't like it though.
First of all, I'm not a fan of bluetooth.
I accept it for the iPhone 4S cover/battery pack. It slides out, similar to a BlackBerry - convenient enough.
But I only accept the additional bulk in combination with the spare battery (basically, it's a battery pack with integrated keyboard).
Still, I'd rather have a physical connection via dock connector instead of bluetooth.
Bluetooth simply consumes energy, which already is critical all the time when on the road (not so much on iPad, but for iPhone definitely a problem).
And it takes a second or 2 when re-connecting.

There is (or at least was) a keyboard from (or at least via) Apple for iPad.
Physically connecting to the dock. But, like I said: The dock connector on iPad is in portrait orientation, which in my opinion is too narrow for typing longer text passages.

Here both keyboards from Microsoft really shine.
If only they had included Outlook! Way more important for me then Word...

Perfect for me:
In the beginning, I've bought tons of covers for all tablets and readers. The original ones from the manufacturers and often 3rd party ones (didn't like the original cover for iPad 1 for example).
But after some time, I found the covers annoying. They add bulk and somehow they all are in the way when holding the tablets/readers.
So I buy the Simon Pike sleeves now.
You can have them for more or less all gadgets, so there's some consistency.
They offer enough protection for transportation.
And when reading or surfing the web on the sofa or in my bed, I don't need any protection.
On Microsoft Surface, I can snap on the cover in a second for transportation and typing. And snap off as easily for reading.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote