View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khahoon View Post
I guess I was right about raising suspicions about privacy and the tablet usage. Now that it has been revealed that (thanks to Snowden) NSA is collecting everything about you regardless of your lawful status, I advise users of tablets and phones to be more careful.
Huh?

Right about what? What's changed between July 27th when you started this thread and today?

By July 27th, it had already been months since Snowden leaked the info on the NSA. He had already been on the run for a long time. Maybe you live such a cocooned life free of electronic news and communications that you are just learning about Snowden today?

And, no, the NSA is not gathering everything about you. For the most part, for most Americans, you are of no interest to them. They only snoop on a limited range of data communications for very targeted purposes (drug trafficking; terrorism).

But to get back to the original topic of this thread -- B&N and how they track usage of Nook users -- there is nothing inherently risky or insecure about a Nook HD/HD+ and users have nothing to fear. B&N collects usage data for marketing and promotional purposes. If you're the paranoid type, you'd be better off worrying about the large email and search engine companies such as Yahoo, Bing, and Google. They mine or have access to a greater amount of user data than a hardware vendor like B&N does.

I really do think you are overly paranoid, but that is your business. Just keep your wi-fi turned off all the time and there is no way anyone can track where you've been -- if they even have any interest in where you've been to begin with.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote