View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khahoon View Post
Well I already outlined what BN could have done in my prev post. They could have just given the right to own the device properly by providing admin rights by default. AN airplane mode is useless because anytime you enable wireless back (regardless of where you are) it will transmit back whatever was cached.
Sorry, but just saying "providing admin rights" is very vague, especially since right out of the box, the Nooks give you admin rights -- and the ability to create sub-accounts with lesser privileges.

And in terms of your location ... no, an airplane mode is NOT useless. They can't track your location if your Wi-Fi is turned off or your Airplane mode is turned on. They can't even cache your location unless Wi-Fi is on.

So, I have to ask, since your location can be hidden, right out of the box without rooting or anything -- what type of data exactly are you worried about getting to B&N or the app makers?

Quote:
I also mentioned that this has nothing to do with me or any particular individual therefor I found your argument of device vendor`s lack of interest in particular individual baseless. Because an individual`s random behavior on a map does not bring enough insight, what they are after is crowd behaviour. That is how corporations get enlightened. What they can do with that data is beyond any regular consumer`s imagination, beside using to upgrade their systems, updating for consumer needs etc. On top of it they also have each indivual`s anon data, although I have hard time calling it anon data since one registers with the device id so they have your non-anon datas.
I don't really know what you're talking about. Can you please explain how either B&N or an app vendor are using "crowd behavior" from the Nooks for their use? And why it is so evil? Be precise.

In terms of "anon data" they don't match up that data with the device or name, so why the worry?

Are we talking mobile ad data here? Are you seriously worried about that?

Quote:
You claim that corporations are not interested in your or my boring life, which I agree, however that is not a strong argument to let them be able to record every movement of your life. Basically your argument is rather naive and half brainwashed and it is hopeful in post lost paradise world. I wish you best luck, however I would take enough steps to keep myself out of their crowd behavior games.
Again, they don't record every movement of your life. If you simply turn Wi-Fi off, you CAN'T be tracked. Who is naive here? As well as a little paranoid perhaps?

Quote:
Books, a job, a wife, a kid, a husband, reading, , relationships, philosophy, poetry, religion, goverments, security cameras, politics etc, none of these are necessities of life either. There are only couple necessities in life. I would say that some water, some food and basic sheltering are the must haves.
Well, a lot of what you just named ARE necessities of life. A job, wife, husband, kid, religion (for many) ... most people consider these things life's basics that we can't live without or are essential to the quality of life ... especially in comparison to an electronic device!

I just don't see where the dangers are that you mentioned. Whether one is talking about the individual or "crowd" behavior.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote