View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khahoon View Post

@PatNY
There are no problems with providing services that require certain data. That is perfectly fine. What is not fine is doing that at all times. They cna design these things in much better and respectful ways, but they do not want to.
Well, that's what the Airplane mode and Wi-Fi On/Off switches are for. To turn off any electronic transmissions. What exactly would you rather a vendor like B&N do?

All tablets and their apps will do more or less the same in terms of tracking, no matter who the vendor is. Do you seriously think that B&N or any other app or device vendor has any interest about what you do or where you go apart from the device's or app's intended purpose? They couldn't care less.

And if you still think your tablet is a risk to your privacy, you don't have to own one. It's not like it's an absolute necessity in life.

Quote:
I also like to point out that the security really has nothing to do with surveilance ... To me security claims are dubious. The real security can be implemented only when everyone on earth agrees on it. It can only happen through real diplomacy, friendship and common future. Other than that, if some people want to hurt another, they will find the ways this way or that way regardless of if your goverment is running dubious, hideous, dishonest survailance campaign in a total punishment camp.
As I said in my previous post, government surveillance is different from tracking activities of vendors for marketing/sales purposes. The two shouldn't be lumped together, IMO. Apples and oranges.

But since you brought up government surveillance, I have to disagree with you that there are no security benefits to that. Let's take the example of security cameras monitoring almost every main street in American cities. Those cameras are what helped the government to capture the Boston Marathon bombers who had prepared more pressure cooker bombs and were planning to set them off before they were captured/killed. Reportedly, government surveillance has also thwarted many planned terrorist attacks on American soil.

Of course, such surveillance will never stop terrorism totally. But it will help minimize it and save some lives. So in that respect it's worthwhile.

The idea that "everyone on earth" can agree to anything of significance is unrealistic and too idealistic. The world is filled with too many disparate religious and cultural groups who are too often at each other's throats.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote