View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
What a bad idea.

I have a friend who is an education researcher for SRI International. She does large scale education research in the country. To date, she says, it has not been proven that giving each child a computer has actually improved learning at all.

To connect this to ebooks, I don't see how this is going to actually help anyone in learning. I personally don't find the ebook format very good for the way textbooks are used in school. The tactile and physical nature of the book enables quick flipping, mark ups, and usage of a person's spatial and tactile memory. None of this is available in digital books.

Another problem with digital books is that you have only one screen or essentially one page open at a time when with physical books you can have at least two pages open per book. Do we expect students to have as many digital readers as they have actual digital books? Probably not.

In sum, this is a silly and unproven idea. Digital books does have its place but it is definitely not yet ready for mass use in public schools. Reliance on this kind of digital technology is not always a good solution, if a solution at all.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote