View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1045
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movendi View Post
Sorry i don't think you understood what i'm trying to achieve.
No, I understand what you mean, but as DiapDealer said, this behaviour in Mantano is not strange at all, it is the standard approach to ebook reading emplyed by all readers. Moon+ may have this option, but ever for it, it's not the default, the page-by-page view is.

I think one of the biggest reasons for this is the fact we are reading a book. With paper books, you have to turn pages to see the next part of the text. Having a chapter as one massive page (or, god forbid, the entire book), would make reading on page very unwieldy. And as we have been reading books in this fashion for such a long time (since scrolls went out of fashion), we tend to accociate reading with pages.

I personally would not enjoy reading a book in this vertical-scrolling fashion, I tried it and keep losing my place.

Reading by a page at a time also works to help bring new users over to ebooks, as they can transition to the non-paper format without having to read books in a different way (other than the obvious fact that the book is not in paper form).

Due to these - and I'm sure other people will have many more reasons for not wanting to read in vertical scrolling mode - this will not be a very common option for quite some time to come, if it ever does.

I would suggest leaving a suggestion on the Mantano site for this, if it is popular or easy enough, they may implement it. But due to the lack of popularity, don't expect them to rush out and do it, if they like the idea, they will get round to doing it eventually.

Also, because of the way PDF's have been used over the years, most people don't tend to treat them in the same way as you would a dedicated ebook format. The original PDF readers always had the vertical scrolling because it was neccessary for a fixed page-size document. So for most people, that's how PDF's are supposed to behave.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 01-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote