View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Tron,

If you just want to read books and reading at bedtime is not important, you should skip Kindle Fire or any other tablet.

Now, which one you should buy will depend of several factors. But all major brands, like Nook or Kindle Touch, support DRM free books. You just need to download the proper format: MOBI for Kindle and ePub for Nook. Even if the book you want is only on one of them, you can easily convert via Calibre in less than 60 seconds. The key is buying a free DRM book.

Major stores or brands, like B&N and Amazon, sell protected ebooks, so buying from B&N only won't avoid the issue that you can't export or read those outside B&N ecosystem. However, I believe you can read Sony's ebooks on Nook devices, without any hack I think.

I personally like Amazon's selection and during these 10+ years with them, customer service has been fantastic. Can't say the same from B&N, at least the few stores close to home.

However, Kindle Touch and Nook are very close in terms of features. I would move the balance on Kindle's favor but it will depend of what type of books you buy; B&N does not have same selection of IT books, so that can be a problem for certain people like me.

Sony readers are really nice, but their online store and experience is not as good as B&N or Amazon, at least in my opinion.

My advice would be, on that order

-Kindle Touch
-Nook Touch
-Sony

The new Kindle Touch feels sturdy and solid. But does not have buttons :-( ... bummer. That can be good or bad for you.

The Sony supports landscape. That can help when reading poetry or computer books. Not so sure if Nook supports landscape mode. I'm very disappointed that the Kindle Touch 3G does not support landscape.

A nice bonus if you get a Nook, is that you can read books for free if you're in a B&N store. Can't remember if there is a time limit. And if you have no B&N store close to home, that may not be a good thing anyway.

Also, take a look on previous Kindle Keyboard. It is a good reader and you may find a better deal. It does not have a touch screen, but it is a fantastic device.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote