View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 AM   #29
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
pdf is a fixed layout format for print, it doesn't belong in screens
Belongs to screens more than you think. Is the only format that allow to maintain well formatted tables, and images in site and not moved.

But the most use of the PDF in screens, in touch screens, is the annotation possibility. You cannot draw in a ePub, nor make handwritten annotations, cross out and even overwrite over a word.

And most important thing of all, PDF annotation is standard across Viewers/Editors. You can do it in a iPad with GoodReader, go to Sumatra PDF in a Windows machine and the annotation is there, exactly the same, with the same size and same colors. This cannot be done with any eBook format. Each viewer has its own annotation format, separated from the document you are annotating, so you get married not only with a platform (iOS, Android, Windows, ...), but even with one application and one device, because most of the apps (practically all) does not syncs notes across devices.

If you don't need that, welcome, but other people like me enjoys doing that, like in a real book with a zillion or two of advantages over eBooks. I only use ePub/mobi/etc. for novels. Even for divulgation books that can come in eBook format or PDF, I select PDF or even buy the death tree version.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote