View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My version will certainly get you the text, but you might wish to buy a commercial version for all the introductory essays, footnotes, and that kind of thing, if you're interesting in getting a more "in-depth" reading.

The version I've uploaded is the "standard" (anonymous) English translation commissioned by the original British publisher, Chapman and Hall, in 1846, and used in the vast majority of unabridged printed English editions (eg the Oxford World Classics edition). One should be aware, however, that it's a little "censored". In the French original, one of the leading characters in the book is a Lesbian, and all material relating to that was omitted from the English edition, since it was unacceptable to a Victorian English readership.

Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation in the 1990s which retains all the material omitted from my version, but it's written in "modern" English which many readers find to be at odds with the age of the story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote