View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Another rumor:

SemiAccurate has been chasing the last bit of this story for several weeks, there is a very good chance that Broadwell’s successor, Sky Lake, will bring back a socketed CPU.

Reading these articles, one interpretation is that the non-socketed CPU lines will be for mobile devices. It's not like Intel will instantly stop producing socket 1155 CPU's when they start selling the allegedly soldered-in socket 1150.

Do you believe it is generally an abuse of power when a tech company sells a non-socketed CPU? If so, we are all facilitators by buying eReaders.

However, I agree that too much power is bad, even for a company I really like, as I do Intel. Hopefully, AMD will survive to compete, or ARM will somehow enter this space.
Laptops use a soldered CPU now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I have enjoyed building my own desktop PC's over the years, choosing the mix of CPU, mobo and peripherals for the task in mind for the PC.

Looks like that flexibility is going to end as I am sure that motherboard suppliers will charge more for a much limited range system boards/hard wired CPU's.

On the positive side, no more holding breath as a new PC build fires up for the first time and finding the CPU/mobo pairing is not happy. Less pain to simply buy one off the shelf.

I would still rather build and or work my own. Of course I have always been that way.
Lincoln Logs, Erector Sets, model airplanes and ships, cars, computers and jewelry.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote