View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #105
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Are you involved in any sort of workshop situation where you can get good, constructive criticism of your work? If not, that's a good thing to do. I've been part of a workshop for thirty years, and I can't imagine sending anything out without improving it through that process first. Consider attending one of the SF workshops such as Odyssey or Clarion. If you were in the Boston area, I'd invite you to my own.
Steve, Jeffrey has offered an approach that several of us should have suggested earlier: Get involved with other writers, preferably in your own chosen genre, who can give you honest, constructive criticism.

Why the stipulation about "chosen genre"? If you can find a local group of writers, it is always nice to get face-to-face responses... but it is much better if those responses come from someone who at least shares your frame of literary reference. One of the science fiction writers I know has been involved with her local writers' group for several years, but she found it difficult to get meaningful feedback because there were only two other science fiction writers in the group. Of those, one seldom came; the other almost never came.

Since your chosen genre is science fiction, I should mention The Friday Challenge, an online group in which I—and also the author mentioned in the previous paragraph—participate. The site is hosted by an actual, published author named Bruce Bethke... the fellow who first coined the term "cyberpunk," and who is credited as the first to use "spam" as an epithet for unwanted e-mail, in his novel Headcrash.

Drop by. Maybe join in a competition. If you have a piece for which you would like uncompromising, critical, honest feedback, ask for it in the weekly "Open Mic Saturday" threads.

We will be friendly... but we will also be honest. If we see specific flaws, they will be pointed out. If we see unobtrusive suggestions for how to improve, we will offer them. If we see excellence, we are liable to offer unblushing praise.

The same invitation is extended to every other writer who reads these words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Based on the responses to this thread, I would have to agree that, while writing these days may not be all roses and lollipops... it could be a lot worse. And despite the problems and uncertainties of the market, there's no reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater... baby'll be just fine.
... and that is the realization we were hoping for all along.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote