View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
BenTrafford
BenTrafford began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Like Liviu said, why don't we just wait until both "solutions" become available to the consumer, and then let the consumer decide what is best?

This discussion reminds me very much of the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray fiasco we're also facing right now. Here you have two promising formats. And two separate camps dissing each other. I say, let the consumer decide, and we'll be all happy!
Honestly, that's the camp I'm in. Mr. Rothman isn't arguing the benefits of his format -- he's crapping on people and spreading misinformation.

If this were a sheerly technical debate about the merits of such things? Well, heck, then this would be an entirely different conversation.

And in terms of the current version of OEBPS -- well, the consumer has decided. The current OEBPS isn't a consumer format -- it's like plumbing. It's there below the surface.

What David Rothman is arguing for, and here we definitely agree, is that a single consumer format is needed. Or a way to share ebooks between devices using different formats. And that's a lofty, difficult goal to achieve.
BenTrafford is offline   Reply With Quote