View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #100
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not lost around here, certainly not lost in my post earlier when I mentioned this is exactly what I do.
Hence my use of the phrase part of the conversation that gets lost as opposed to, say, idea that was never mentioned. A topic that gets lost is one that gets overlooked, not one that has yet to be introduced.

Quote:
But that's really not relevant to the conversation, because then the device is no longer a Chromebook in terms of system/solution. It's just a re-purpose of the hardware, like saying Coke is a good cola because the bottles can be used as plant watering devices.
First, this is Mobile Read and tangents are not only allowed but welcome. Second, this is anything but a tangent.

By your logic, if repurposing hardware is irrelevant to discussions of an actual device, then no one in the B&N forums could recommend a rooted Nook, nor Kobo readers focus on custom patches for the Aura, nor Galaxy, Fire or Nexus users talk about running custom ROMs. Chromebook hardware has everything to do with its viability for people who object to aspects of the Chrome OS itself. I might want to visit Chrome on occasion without actually living within it day to day.

The article focuses on the software and so, for the most part, have we. But the topic is Chromebooks, not Chrome, so the laptop's ability to run Linux is not only worth noting but relevant.

Quote:
You can. Many folks replace the storage device in their Chromebook, and/or augment it with an SD card.
Good to ken. I hadn't read anything about Chromebooks being easy to take apart or having space to add additional storage. Since a Chromebook might only have 16-32GB internal storage, it doesn't necessarily follow there would space for a proper SSD inside unless someone like you confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumi
That must have something to do with your configuration, or the software you run. Windows, or any software I have installed, doesn't nag me either, except on Wednesday after 17:00.
It was characteristic of XP (which is what my netbook used) to ask constantly to upgrade or install items at inconvenient times -- as you were starting up Word or shutting down Windows, for example. Microsoft was an earnest relative who always banged on your bedroom door and never quite grasped you were wearing headphones and wanted to be left alone.

You might have been able to disable notifications or set them up, but MS was clearly hoping you never did. Whereas Ubuntu simply looked minimal, functioned reliably and left you alone from the get.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote