View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
ohIdon'tknow
ohIdon'tknow began at the beginning.

Location: The People's Republic of... to be honest, now that you ask, it seems to have entirely slipped my mind... oh well!
Device: kobo Aura One, Samsung tablet, Necronomicon - extra evil version
KSM GUIDE CONFUSION

Hello Everyone,

I‘m having a little trouble following the Kobo Start Menu (& koreader) install guide. I'm trying to follow a guide where the years of accumulated amendments and assorted postscripts have largely discombobulated its step-by-step clarity. With a confusion that does nothing to becalm the nerves of this very cautious noob. Some bits really don’t make much sense to me, and I find some steps a little too vague and open to potentially disastrous misinterpretation. Which is why I was hoping that someone could help me clear up a few points.

Being a big fraidy-cat I’ve decided not to launch straight in to installing Koreader on my Kodo Aura One. I’ve instead spent £10 on a used Kobo Mini which I’ll use for a test run.

First thing I did was reset and then update the Kobo Mini. The Mini is now running the 3.4.1 firmware.

1. I then connected it to my Ubuntu PC so I could walk-through the process. However, I found myself stumped when looking for the .adds folder – the KSM 09 destination for Koreader. A ctrl + h revealed the .kobo, .kobo-images, .adobe-digital-editions hidden folders, but .adds is nowhere to be seen. Should I create the .adds folder myself or does it appear after after the KoboRoot.tgz is added to .kobo?

2. The guide’s recommendations begin with a suggestion to prepare your PC for usbnet. The next two recommendations suggest disabling wifi with changes to a .msh file. Does the first point imply that this change will be made via the webinterface, or is it via the e-reader screen? Or do I have to dig around for config files and set at them with my text editor. Sorry if this a stupid question but I’ve never used KSM or Koreader before. And I've also never used usbnet with linux: another hurdle I'm hoping to avoid.

Any help and guidance much appreciated.

Thomas
ohIdon'tknow is offline   Reply With Quote