View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
My fuzzy proposal for the time being would be:
1. Define essential "must haves" for Sigil to live.
I fail to see the point of this thread and the "Sad Sigil news?" thread. As is it is right now, Sigil is a very mature piece of software and as far as functionality is concerned, it's feature-complete. If you gave book designers a moderate size plain text file with chapter headings in it and a cover image and challenged them to turn it into an ePub, they should be able to easily transform the text into a valid, nice looking basic epub in about 10 minutes flat. (It can even be used to create Kindle source files.)

In fact, I wished my regular text editor had features such as an index editor, group searches, keyboard shortcut accessible text clips, advanced spell check features etc.

IMHO, there's no point in adopting the "featuritis" mentality of commercial software producers that often turned pretty useful software into bloatware.
And even without any further updates Sigil'll useful for years to come. Just because user_none won't add any new features to it, it won't suddenly break down or become obsolete!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
Ad 1. As I see it EPUB 3 is a must.
Since ePub3 hasn't really caught on and very few ePub3 features are actually adding value to the reader experience (for example, popup footnotes) ePub3 support doesn't really matter. Besides, ePub3 readers should be ePub2 compatible.

If ePub3 actually catches in on in couple of years, someone'll most likely have to create an ePub3 editor from scratch, because of the significant format differences.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote