View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
About the only path I can see out of this for those manufacturers that produce epub readers to form a group to support and develop it, as a counter to Amazon's Kindle. There might be enough money there to do so. However, even Amazon is tending toward a kind of epub with its newer machines. The use of sort of epub3 by Apple only adds to the confusion. Making epub3 a must have at this point when there are still only a few devices that support it doesn't make much sense. It will over time.

This is a mare's nest.
Now that's a very interesting suggestion. But I'd add, given that AFIK the best path to a Kindle file is via epub --> mobi via kindlegen, (and especially so the more mobi8 resembles epub2) why not invite Amazon to the party as well? It'd be chump change for them. IIRC, both FreeBSD and Linux have had some success along these lines. Who will bell the cat?

As an aside: If not via epub -> mobi conversion, how do the big dogs (i.e. major publishers) produce their kindle content? Secret deals with Amazon? Anybody know? Inquiring minds and all that...

Hmm, maybe I should dissect some of my purchased kindle books with kindleunpack and see if there are any clues...

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote