View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, I just opened it in the browser and it looks great, of course

My only (minor) comments this far are:

1. I'd put the names in the metadata in the "normal" first-name last-name order: Jerome K. Jerome and A. Frederics, and put the complete names in the "reversed" order in the file-as attribute: Jerome, Jerome Klapka and Frederics, A.
crotte !!! i actually fixed that already on a different version, but forget to fix the content.opf of this one. i'll take care of that and reupload.

Quote:
2. I wouldn't use an embedded font for the normal text, the font to use should be a user's choice, even if some ePUB readers don't allow that. I think special fonts for titles or decorative texts are fine, but not for the main text.
actually, i agree with you ; however, i wanted to know how to do it. there are a lot of stylistic effects i wouldn't use on a "typical" book because they're better left to the user's choice or because they limit compatibility (like the wrapped images which will cause problems on smaller screens), but as i said, this was really more of an experiment to try out as many special features as possible.

Quote:
3. The cover illustration has some ugly jpeg artifacts and it's blurry, can't you find a better version? And in general, prefer PNG over GIF, it's better (supports more features and can have a better compression).
sadly, these are the only images i have. i didn't scan them myself, and i don't have access to the original book, so i'm happy to have them at all ! obviously, for future illustrated books, i hope to have better quality ones. but i chose this book because i had been wanting an illustrated epub version of it for a long time anyway, so i just made do with what i had available. you are right though that i'd rather have png images !

thanks for your comments !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote