View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #30
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are several issues:

1. The same calibre book can be sent to the device multiple times. Each will have a different signature. Which one is stored?
2. Computing the signature takes time.
3. Many people have multiple devices. Which one wins?
Actually, I was surprised that Calibre doesn't store information about where each edition of a book is kept. So that you could, for example, ask calibre for a list of the books on each device you own without having to plug in the devices in turn.

If it did then that would be the natural place to keep this data - i.e a table with device-file associations - but since it doesn't then, yeah, this might be more work than it's worth.

Thankfully, I'm still at early stages with my shiny new kindle, so it's not *too* much trouble to experiment with different ways of organising the books and then just level the whole thing and rebuild the entire kindle content in my finally-decided form at the end.

In fact, that's my current approach, and will remain doable right up until the point that I have files in multiple collections (as that's one thing it's apparently not possible to automate as yet).
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote