View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm confused... which REH Solomon Kane stories did you read that were previously unpublished? Except for "Blades of the Brotherhood" (and a handful of fragments that were completed by other authors) they were all published during Howard's lifetime.
It's important to remember people are living outside United States of America, too :-). Not only short story collections can have different titles, but many books we talk about on this forum are simply not translated at all and out of reach. it works both ways - out of Polish SF you probably only know Solaris by Stanisław Lem. As far as fantasy is concerned, you may've heard about The Witcher. And that's it.

"The Days of Perky Pat" by Philip K. Dick is to my understanding a title with a double meaning. It's not possible to preserve the play on words in translation, so it has been named after "Conquerers we". But that's an easy case. For other authors, like Robert Sheckley, there's even no 1:1 relationship between books. Short stories are distributed differently among different number of books.

And Solomon Kane may be not my thing indeed, I don't know. I haven't read any other books about him. This collection contains:
The Return of Sir Richard Grenville
The Moon of Skulls
Skulls in the Stars
The Footfalls Within
The Hills of the Dead
The Hawk of Bastii

The bottom line: treat "previously unpublished" as a WARNING label.

(Not trying to sound patronizing. I just figured I out I may as well go for the full story.)

Last edited by b0rsuk; 05-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote