View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
Hey all,

So it seems this thread confirms that one can remove the preloaded Waterstones screensavers placed onto Paperwhites bought from Waterstones in the UK.

Here's the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

I wonder if anyone can tell me exactly how to do this, though? A simple, step by step guide would be amazing. I literally have no idea where to start after jailbreaking; I've looked at usbnetwork and have no idea what that does, and I've also looked at the ported screensaver hack but wonder whether that's even necessary.

The original poster mentions that he has "unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files", and later replaces them. What does that even mean? Do you unpack it onto your computer, replace the files, recompress, and reupload to your Kindle's root?

Sorry for the n00b-like behaviour - don't want to destroy my new gadget.
Help is incredibly appreciated.

J.
There has only been the single report of removing the Waterstone Screen saver (the one you found).

I don't know if it could be "dumbed down" enough for general use.

One thing that would help - a copy of the main system image from a Kpw with the screen saver installed.

Although the directions to make copies of the system images are on-site, from your questions, I do not suggest that you try it.

You really need to either increase your skill level, and/or wait until someone can dumb-down the process to the point that people without the required technical skills can handle.

Translation: Your chances of harm to the device are too great to even consider trying this, even with hand-holding posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote