View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #31
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I would kind of like to have both shelf metadata and organization by folder. However, I recognize that the Kobo interface is not open source, and when I threw in my lot with Kobo, I gave up a certain amount of freedom. For me, it's been worth it, as the Kobo is a sweet machine and the development staff is present in the forums and seems to take the locals' requests pretty seriously. I end up having about as much say as I would with an open-source project, given that I have neither the time nor the gumption to sit down, learn and install a codebase and development environment, and add new features myself.

May I suggest that the OP look into buying an Android phone or tablet and installing an ebook reading app that can navigate a directory tree, such as FBReader? I use a setup like this myself when I don't have access to my Kobo, and it works rather well, although I prefer my Glo. If the OP roots a Nook, he can even get frontlighting.

Alternatively, since the OP has said he hasn't actually bought a Kobo yet, why doesn't he diversify his efforts by going to the Kindle and Nook forums and demanding that their developers add folder support? The hardware side of all three devices is relatively similar by this point (or so it has been suggested), so by pestering three times as many dev teams, the OP will be able to triple the likelihood that he'll get folder support implemented on a nice, frontlit ereader. He's already made his demands known here, so best to concentrate on those other forums for now, I think.

In any case, my market research indicates that there are at least two Kobo owners who want the OP to have his hair dyed blue, and because this is a lot faster and easier a fix than adding folder support, I demand that it be prioritized to #1 on the feature development queue.

I would create a petition to this effect, but I'm tired and shagged out after a prolonged squawk.

Last edited by rwhe; 12-09-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: scene break